Highway Safety and Accident Simulator
The client develops and markets accident-simulation software and related services to over 1,800 customers in 28 countries. Customers include motor-vehicle manufacturers, government agencies, universities, and private engineering consulting firms.
Our client’s mission:
- Drive the state-of-the-art in simulation technology used by the vehicle-safety industry, while making the technology more accessible and available
- Produce a simple yet effective tool for the vehicle-safety industry that will improve vehicle safety and design throughout the entire life cycle — from the drawing board to the wrecking yard
- Our client wanted to reuse the underlying modeling engine and related modules from legacy software developed with the C++ on the UNIX platform. That software was heavily computational-dependent and required strict adherence to modeling formulae. To achieve the reuse goals, the user interface for the new software required a complete and extensive redesign to conform to Microsoft Windows standards.
- The client wanted to develop new software on the Windows platform with Open Inventor™, an object-oriented API graphics library with extensible architecture and a large set of advanced components. Software developers use this high-level platform for processing interactive graphics programming and rapid integration of two-and three-dimensional (2D/3D) data visualization.
- Using Open Inventor libraries for the 3D graphical objects was the biggest challenge, as the initial migration required a move to the 32-bit Windows platform, and then to the 64-bit Windows platform.
Technology and Tools
- .NET Framework
- Open Inventor
- Visual Studio
- Microsoft VC++
- Visual Source Safe (for source control)
Everest Consultants and the client developed and refined software ideas using an iterative prototyping, review, and enhancement-feedback process.
After the initial migration to the 32-bit Windows platform, follow-on work continued, with the project team moving the software to the 64-bit platform to take advantage of that platform’s more powerful capabilities.
The result – a new traffic-accident simulator software featuring:
- High graphics-intensive accident simulation
- A robust yet simple-to-use graphic interface
- The creation, coloring, and texturing of 3-D editor objects – including surfaces,
cones, boxes, cylinders, spheres, text, light, and traffic signals – and an
- The ability to easily construct humans, vehicles, environments
- A feature allowing playback of Open Inventor objects
- Reading and saving accident-simulation files
- Options for viewing AutoCAD formats
- Report viewing and printing
- Video generation for additional analysis and documentation
- Easy software installation and removal
About Everest Consultants, Inc.
Founded in 1993 in the heart of Oregon’s Silicon Forest, we provide application development, maintenance, testing and support services that meet the unique and complex needs of clients around the globe.
Connect with Everest Consultants to make IT happen
(503) 643-3990 | www.everestinc.com
1500 NW Bethany Blvd
Beaverton, OR 97006
Global Solution Center
4th Floor, 8-2-248/A, Maharishi House
Road No. 3, Banjara Hills
Hyderabad 500 034